Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Emotional Eating/Startling Statistic

I heard a startling statistic today on the increase in the number on women ages 30-58 with eating disorders. This is not just a young person disease! Also, a high percentage of the women had eating disorders when they were younger & lapsed back into the pattern due to never dealing with the emotions behind the issue.

We all know that emotional eating is a major cause of people being overweight. It is time to take control. Face the emotions behind the eating & then set out a realistic eating plan that you can live with for life. Make small, attainable goals to reach & don't overload yourself. Reward yourself with non-food related items as you reach these goals. Once again, small steps lead to big changes!

This is definitely something I had to learn to conquer... the emotional eating. One of the things I do when I just want to stuff my face due to something traumatic is to stop, think first, step away for at least 10 minutes to think it thru & give myself time to realize that I am letting my emotions take over. Also, if it is someone else or work that is ticking you off, I say: "I am not going to let them ruin my ability to make myself better. Are they really worth that?" Think about it that way & you hopefully will not succumb to emotional eating.

No comments:

My Food Diary