Many may wonder what motivated me to lose weight and keep it off for so many years. For me, motivation has changed with time. When I was younger and "less mature in my thought process", losing weight to not be called fat, to have guys be attracted to me, to get compliments for once in my life was a motivating factor. I think long term, you have to find very positive motivating factors to keep you going BUT whatever gets you started is OK with me as long as you get started & start feeling better. Once you start to lose weight & feel healthier, your motivations then turn to you doing it for you along with maybe doing it for your family, loved ones etc. BUT, the motivation to do something good for yourself comes after starting to feel better about yourself. Weight loss & being healthy will do that!
With age, my motivation has changed & with that it has become more about me wanting to do it for me vs. getting accolades from others. What keeps me going now... I LOVE having muscles and being healthy. Knowing that I am doing everything I can to feel good about myself makes all the difference. I am not the biggest fan of cardio but I do it to be healthy, for heart health & yes, to burn calories. BUT, I also like the feeling of accomplishment when I push myself to new limits.
I also LOVE lifting weights. Not only does my body look better for it, but I burn more calories at rest, I can eat more than I did when I was younger, I feel better & can do so much more for someone of 50. And yes, I do love getting compliments still about how good I look for my age. And, yes, I do enjoy people telling me that it is amazing that I work out harder & keep up with people that are 25 + years younger than I am.
But, with all of that, my motivation is that I just love being fit & healthy. I like feeling good about myself and I like being able to keep up with 6 small step grandchildren!
Find what motivates you! We all have different reasons for starting a program but ultimately as long as you start, that is great. Start feeling good about yourself & let that motivation take you to new heights!
Please don't forget to make comments on my site or email me at truth2beingfit@yahoo.com. Let me know what you think, what you want improved/changed and what you want to hear more about!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment