Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Be Careful of the Scale

Many women and men or so focused on the numbers on the scale that they can actually sabotage themselves. I want all of you to remember that muscle weighs more than fat.

When a person first starts a weight loss & strength training routine, some see the scale actually inch up a bit. TAKE A DEEP BREATH and keep on your program. When a person replaces fat weight with muscle weight, the scale can add a couple pounds but your size may decrease. Pay attention to how your clothes fit. That can be more important at this time when you are struggling with the scale.

I know from experience that you can weigh more but where a smaller size. When I had less muscle, I actually wore a larger size than I do now. I weigh a bit more than I did when I was younger due to my added muscle but I also wear a smaller size!

Also, decide if weighing yourself every day/every other day or once a week is best for you. Studies have come out saying that weighing yourself every day keeps people on track & they have better long term success. Other studies say that the previous is self destructive because people get frustrated so just weigh yourself once a week.

As I always say, the key is WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU! I think that this whole weighing yourself thing comes down to what you feel most comfortable with & what helps you achieve your goals.

No comments:

My Food Diary