Tuesday, February 19, 2008

A Little More about Me

I am sure that some of you are wondering what my workout program is like. As I outline this, please keep in mind that I am considered an advanced workout person since I have been at this for so long. I work out 5 days per week and sometimes a sixth day of strictly core/stretching.

I work out in the gym 4 days per week and a do an outside jog along with ab/core exercises and stretching on the 5th day.

  • Cardio: I do cardio 4 days per week but longer sessions with varying intensities. I have mentioned that I am not a cardio fan but it is integral to my program and over time I have changed it many times. I used to do shorter sessions over 5-6 days. At this point in my life, I prefer doing my cardio over 4 days. I vary the equipment in the gym using the treadmill for jogging, intervals and hill walking. I also use the Step Mill which is the revolving stairs and the Elliptical Trainer.
  • Weight/Resistance Training: I do a fairly intense weight workout 4 days per week. I vary the body parts so I am not working the same body part 2 days in a row. I do circuit training which is when you move from one exercise to the next with little or no rest in between the moves. This keeps my heart rate up & burns additional calories. I find this has really contributed to me staying leaner. I have been doing some form of circuit training for over 12 years now. I do vary & change my routine all the time though.
  • Abs/Core/Stretching: I do ab/core exercise 5 times a week. I have found this works for me but everyone is different so you may need to do less & rest more in between days. I also do stretching after every workout. DO NOT leave out stretching!!!!!

I want to emphasize again that I am an advanced trainer. If you are a beginner, start slow, learn the basics & then start experimenting with different routines.

Also, there is controversy with experts on whether to do cardio or weights first. I think you have to find what is best for you. I do cardio first which really gets my body going and my heart rate up. From there, I move right in to my circuit training. This really helps me burn calories and fat and keeps that after burn going for hours after the workout. I also am very aware of my body so I am able to maintain the correct form while doing my weights. IF you are too tired to keep your form correct after the cardio, I would suggest doing the weights first.

For those lifting heavier to increase muscle mass, most experts suggest doing weights first.

Keep up the good work!!!!

No comments:

My Food Diary