By now, some of you may of heard about the low fat vs. low carb vs. Mediterranean diet study that showed low carb and Mediterranean diets to be favorable alternatives to low fat diets. Now saying that, there were also things that were not discussed on the main TV channel stories about this study.
The Diet Blog has a good article on this & pointed out that: "The adherence rates are artificially high due to the partially controlled environment and the consultations with dietitians. Also, energy expenditure was not factored in, which can account for a significant piece of the health/weight loss picture. I also would have liked to see body composition measurements in addition to scale weight." You can read the article at this link: http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/2008/07/17/mediterranean_and_low_carb_diets_shine_in_study.php
The other thing I was not able to see was whether the low carb diet was similar to an Atkins type one with high fat or was it more low carb due to eating lots of fresh veggies vs. the potatoes, rice, bread, sugar etc.
For me, it always comes down to what a person can stick with for life. If you love your carbs, a low carb diet is not going to work for you. You have to find a way to fit them in to your eating plan. Maybe you even take pieces of all the different plans in this article & work out an eating program that is right for you.
I tend to stick to anywhere from 20-30% of my calories from fat but I have some days that include more carbs and other days that don't have as many carbs. I eat more on days I work out & less on those days that I don't work out or have lighter workouts.
I believe there is no one right plan. Find what works for you & that is the plan that is right for you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment