Sunday, September 21, 2008

Exercise & Age

I want to get on my "soapbox" again about people just getting out & walking or moving or doing anything. On my outside jog this morning, I saw 3 older people out walking WITH A CANE. They did not let age or in one case what appeared to be a stroke stop them from getting out there & just moving. In addition, I saw a number of other older people out just walking in a couple cases even jogging. I also saw one lady that was in her 70's stretching her hamstrings to a point that many 50 years her junior could not do!!!!

Studies have proven & experts have told us that exercising & stretching not only helps slow down the aging process but also may help prevent us against certain diseases, obviously helps us keep control of our weight, resistance exercise helps build muscular & bone strength helping to stop serious injury if we fall .. very important as we get older, helps keep our cholesterol lower and so much more. In fact, experts & studies have even proven that if you have not lifted weights or exercised before, you still get the benefits by starting & maintaining a program that includes resistance & aerobic exercise.

Hey, if we can work on preventing bone loss and improving our health as we age, why not do it!!! Take a page from the people I saw out today. Just get moving no matter what age you are but obviously if you have medical issues, check with your doctor first.

No comments:

My Food Diary