Friday, August 01, 2008

Keeping Weight Loss Off

Today, I had intended to discuss some of my own day to day workouts & food thoughts but I read this article about maintaining weight loss on Diet Blog that caught my interest and I thought it would be of interest to my readers as well. See how easily I got sidetracked from my original plan!!! Good thing I don't do that with my own workouts but I sure do when reading fitness information!

Now, I want to preface this by saying that some of you will want to use this as an excuse just not to try to lose weight because the article talks about the fact that people "sustaining a loss of 10% or more of initial body weight at 24 months reported performing more physical activity (1835 kcal/wk or 275 min/wk) compared with those sustaining a weight loss of less than 10% of initial body weight." Meaning they had to work harder to keep it off.

Now, before I give you the link, let me put my 2 cents in. I lost weight in high school, put some back on & off & on over the college years & 20's. I finally got it down better in my 30's and older. Quite honestly, it was my 40's before I really had it down but I was doing OK before that. Anyway, I digress..... I was going to say that I have always had to work hard to keep the weight off & as my body got used to my workouts, I had to change it up. Also, as we get older, we are going to have to work harder at weight loss both in terms of exercise and food. This is a fact of life so you are going to have to accept it & live with it.

Listen, in a future post, I will outline what I have been doing just to fight the hormone changes due to my age & it is tough stuff!!!!

So, before you give up just because of this study, understand from a person who has been there & done that for over 25 years, you are always going to have to change things & work at keeping the weight off. Things change, the body changes, life changes. Accept it, move on and get healthy!!! It is worth it!

OK, the link to the article is and there is good advice in here:
http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/2008/08/01/maintaining_weight_loss_how_much_exercise_is_required.php

No comments:

My Food Diary