Many of us like to walk or jog outside for some of our workouts just for the change, for the scenery and just to make it more fun and interesting. I was reading an article in Shape magazine about things to watch out for so I thought I would talk about my own experiences as well as their suggestions.For me, when I jog outside, I am always aware of my surroundings whether it is early, midday or late. I NEVER listen to music. I know some of you are not going to like this but it sure is going to be hard to hear a person or car or bike coming at you if you have ear buds in your ears & the music cranked. I take this time to think thru things I want to accomplish in my workouts or life as well as just some peaceful thinking. Give that a try. I also like to enjoy the scenery.
Also, it is less hard on your joints to jog/walk on asphalt versus the concrete of a sidewalk. If you choose to do this, always jog towards oncoming traffic so you can see if a car is coming at you or losing control.
I only jog outside one day per week so I prefer to use the sidewalk to be safe. I like this because I can plan where I might want to go if I feel threatened by a person or animal. I am always on the lookout for that & possible places I can go. You can also try to get to a public place if that is possible. Now, saying that, I do keep an eye on the ground too... I alternate looking down & ahead to not only see what is in front/side of me but also down so I don't trip on cracks, stones or anything else on the sidewalk. If you don't want to jog on the street & the pavement is too tough on your joints, try jogging/walking on the grass... a good option!
Now, Shape also discussed if you confront a hostile dog. They say to freeze, yell "NO" and walk backwards slowly to show that you are not a threat. The article says never to turn & run.
Another suggestion from Shape is if you get injured. If you can move, get to a higher spot like a bench or hill if possible & try to flag someone down. If you can't move, stay stable & also try to flag down a person or car. I usually see similar people on my outside route so hopefully for you, that is the same & you can wait for a friendly face.
Hope this all helps & enjoy the jog or walk!

No comments:
Post a Comment