Thursday, August 28, 2008

Weighing Yourself

Oh, I love this picture! This is from an article off Diet Blog about weight fluctuations in the course of a day & how often you should weigh yourself. It discusses what causes weight fluctuations like water retention (and not just that time of the month type), the food you eat and more.

For me, I have always been one of those people that has big weight fluctuations during the day. I can weigh 3-4 pounds heavier in the middle or end of day than I do at the beginning of the day. I am one to weigh myself first thing in the morning.

Just so you know you are not alone, I occasionally test this. I weigh myself first thing in the morn, when I get home from the gym (I sleep for a couple hours after getting home from the gym), middle of the day & night. I may weigh 1-1.5 pounds less after that nap, I can weigh up to 3-4 pounds more mid afternoon or later and I can gain a pound just by drinking 1 cup of coffee. I test this just out of curiosity because I can feel the change during the day & to also set my mind at ease knowing this is just how my body works. It may not be what we want but it is what it is.....

Also, the article talks about weighing yourself once per week if the weight fluctuations are going to discourage you from your program. I think you have to establish what is best for you & do that. Many studies also say that people that weigh themselves ONCE per day have better success rates at losing weight & keeping it off. The reasoning is that they know their bodies (like I have posted about endlessly) & will realize if they are getting past that 3-4 pounds too much that may lead to more. Now, I am not talking about the daily weight fluctuations but I am talking about when we know we are eating too much & it is time to get control. I am one to weigh daily & especially now that I am fighting perimenopause & that craziness!

Here is the article link: http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/2008/08/28/weight_fluctuations_why_do_they_happen.php

I hope this helps & find out what best works for you & go with that. Please don't get into this weighing yourself multiple times in one day!!!!! Mine was just an experiment to see how my body works & I test every so often for knowledge sake.

No comments:

My Food Diary