Wednesday, November 05, 2008

More on Planks



I got a couple reader questions on planks from my Sunday post. By the way, thx to all my readers & your comments!

Anyway, the reader questions were about how often to do planks and how many should be done when you do them. Well, once again, abs/core is always a source of varying opinions in the expert world. Some experts say you can do abs/core every day or let's say 5 days per week. Other experts say that every other day or 3 days per week is best.

I think planks can be pretty tough if you do them right so see what you can handle. When you first start, you may only be able to hold the position 15 -30 seconds and maybe only 3-5 reps. I have worked up to 2 minutes or more when I hold the position & then as I do more reps, this may decrease to 1 minute holds. I also do this while watching the news or TV so I do rest a bit more in between reps so I may do 10 reps of 1-2 minute holds of varying types of planks over 30 minutes or so. If your rest in between is less, you may have shorter hold times and your reps may then decrease.

See what your body can handle. If you do an intense plank workout, rest a day or 2 before doing them again.. especially if you are a beginner. If you are just throwing in a plank or 2 with your other core workout, rest as normal between your ab workouts.

For me, I can do abs 5- 6 days a week with a mixture all types of ab exercises & do fine but I also have been working out for years.

Newbies may want to rest a day between workouts & if very intense and still sore, add another day of rest, but do them at least 3 days per week. You are going to have to see how your body responds. I still believe it is NOT a one size fit all.

Check out this link to a side plank from The Biggest Loser site. You can just hold it here if the other versions are too hard: http://www.nbc.com/The_Biggest_Loser/dietcenter/fitness/side_plank.shtml

Also, on regular planks, try lifting one leg at a time to make it harder and/or pulse that one straight leg that is off the floor to work the glutes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Super! Thanks for the clarification on plank workouts. I appreciate the various ideas you gave about adding them to workouts and especially the suggestion of doing them during tv time.

My Food Diary