Sunday, December 07, 2008

Deciphering Calories



I have read many articles and heard people say that a calorie is a calorie so it does not matter what you eat if it is the same number calories. Meaning 1200 calories of lean protein, fibrous veggies and "good fat" is the same as eating, let's say, 1200 calories of hamburgers and fries. NOT!

I have always disagreed with this! I learned from my own experiences that eating "cleaner and healthier" foods (even if the same calorie count) kept me looking better & lower in body fat than eating the same amount of calories of less healthy options. I found that by eating healthier and including whole grains, 100% whole wheat, more veggies, lean proteins and a decent amount of healthy fat kept me leaner than cutting my good fats too low or eating too many white breads or white rice or white potatoes vs. sweet potatoes or yams. I am not saying that you have to be perfect but I do feel as you work with your own body, you will see how certain foods may work better for you than others and maybe better for you than for other people. I am a true believer that everyone has to find what works best for them.

Saying that, check out this article from Diet Blog on how calories are not created equal.

Part of the article states: "Researchers posit that all calories are not always created equal, and that some types of calories are more likely than others to be converted to fat." Read the full article here and work on finding what is right for you:

No comments:

My Food Diary