I have been blogging about food choices lately so I thought I would let you know more about my food program. As I said yesterday, my schedule is more flexible so I like to eat small meals throughout the day. Not only does it keep my body fueled at all times but I am less likely to get too hungry & reach for anything nearby whether it is a better choice or not. I am a morning workout person so I always eat a good breakfast after the workout that combines both protein, carbs & healthy fat. I really need to refuel after that because I work out very intensely. I may have a protein shake or it may be whole grain toast with power peanut butter & a protein bar. It all depends on my time availability & what I feel like that morning. I usually eat every 2-3 hours (SMALL MINI MEALS) on the days I work out and I eat less on non workout days.
I do try to eat some protein & carbs at every mini meal. Some of my staples are protein powder for smoothies or to mix in oatmeal or other foods. For example, you can make protein pudding by mixing in a scoop of protein powder or even add it to pancakes.. get creative! I keep oatmeal, oat bran, whole grain breads, extra lean turkey, chicken, egg whites, yogurt (I like the thicker Greek ones), broccoli, sweet potatoes/yams, carrots, apples, bananas/blueberries (to make smoothies or top oatmeal or pancakes, ground flax seed and of course a variety of spices to keep everything flavorful. Oh, I can't forget my Trader Joe's Sweet and Hot mustard. I love that stuff.. put it on veggies, in my turkey meatloaf & more! There are so many healthy choices out there. Just get online to find recipes (plenty at some of my Fav Websites) or get creative yourself. I am not a great cook but I have found ways to make some decent recipes... now if only my husband agreed!!!! Really, I am not a great cook but I try!

1 comment:
mini meals = ? calories (or proportionate to daily intake?)
Post a Comment