Monday, January 12, 2009

More on Night Eating

I got a couple questions on my post from yesterday regarding eating at night so I thought I would elaborate a bit more on this.

I want to clarify that I don't advocate eating a big dinner at night close to bed time so that the food just sits there & per some experts may contribute to more of those calories being stored as fat. Plus, I personally, feel pretty "gross" going to bed with a lot of food sitting in my stomach whether it fits in with my daily food program or not.

I am specifically talking about eating those after dinner snacks. Again, if you have not eaten enough during the day, the risk is coming home & eating everything in front of you for dinner & following that up with a snack later that may be too high in calories & fat leading to you basically eating too many calories each day. If you are a person that gets home very late, try making your breakfast the biggest meal of the day, then lunch & a smaller dinner if you must eat your dinner closer to bedtime. If you are a mini meal person, try to eat your starchy carbs earlier in the day & make your late night meal higher in protein along with maybe a salad or vegggie.

The key is to plan ahead! Plan your meals & snacks or if you are eating 5-6 small meals, plan those too! Without doing this, you are setting yourself up for consuming more than calories than you are burning off.

I keep my after dinner snack at 150 -200 calories & something that is not heavy or bloating. There are many nights that I may eat it only 1-1.5 hours before bed but it is nothing that is heavy or calorie dense.

If you are a morning work out person, you may want to make your after dinner snack or last mini meal of the day something that will carry over to help you with that morning workout. Check the article from yesterday's post regarding this point.

Try this for at least 30 days. I think you will see the difference by watching your late night eating & making sure you plan ahead & don't overdo on nighttime calories.

No comments:

My Food Diary