Thursday, January 29, 2009

Emotions & Eating

I have posted many times about the link between emotions & overeating. If you watch The Biggest Loser, you see this in action as the trainers work through emotional issues with the contestants & how that often leads to overeating. Just the other day, I posted about the overweight teens on the Oprah show & the very real link between emotions and eating.

If you can be truthful with yourself, you may find this is one of your major blocks to losing weight. You will have to face those emotional issues in order to move forward. Many don't want to do this because it is too painful but isn't your long term physical AND emotional health more important. Yes, some people overeat just because they eat too much & love food and can't stop. BUT, a big percentage of people that are overweight have emotional issues at the root of the weight gain.

Now, saying that, how do we cope with emotions and bad moods without heading to that ice cream container? I have posted a lot about this like first getting professional help, replacing bad habits with better habits, calling a friend to talk, taking a walk, walk away for a few minutes to think about it (which often may lead to NOT overeating), drinking water (sometimes we are really thirsty, not hungry) and more. Check my past posts.

Diet Blog had an interview with Shauna Reid, author of Dietgirl book. This is what she said she does:

Question from Diet Blog: "You're very honest in the Dietgirl book and on your blog about the link between emotions and unhealthy habits. What are your tips for coping with bad moods without resorting to chocolate?"

Answer from Shauna: I try to create a diversion - phoning a friend to have a moan, or churning out an angst-ridden blog entry. Kickboxing is my best weapon - it calms me down and brings perspective to my problems. It also reminds me why I choose to eat chocolate less often than I may like, because being fitter and healthier feels so good. But sometimes, no amount of trickery works and I just have the darn chocolate, and try to sit down as I eat to really appreciate its lovely goodness, instead of just mindlessly shoving it in. I have my good and bad days like everyone."

Her last statement is important. If you are just going to eat it, then sit down & enjoy it fully. Don't mindless eat.... then move on. Don't fret about it & don't give up just because you ate a bar of chocolate or a bowl of ice cream!!! MOVE ON!

No comments:

My Food Diary