Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Cardio vs. Food vs. Weights

I wanted to discuss the ongoing questions & articles about what helps you lose weight the best: cardio workouts, weight workouts or a better food program. Well, if you ask me, you have to do all 3 to make it work right & to maintain your weight loss for life.

Now, saying that, I want to let you know about my personal experiences with this. When I was younger, I did nothing but cardio. Yes, cardio workouts, walking etc. are going to help you lose weight but you will just be a smaller version of your heavier self. If that is your goal, go for it although I feel weight resistance is important for long term health.

BUT, in order to reshape your body, you must do some form of weight resistance. Not only does it help reshape your body but it prevents osteoporosis (bone thinning), prevents injury if you have more muscle mass and the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn at rest (raising your BMR)! I know this from personal experience! Been there, done that. Weights changed my life, my body & my ability to eat more. No more 1200 calorie days for me!

Now, your food program. Many experts will tell you that what you eat is 80% of the equation to losing weight & keeping it off. From my own experience, I will say the food is a huge factor. What types of foods you eat, how much & the quality of it has proven to me that it really matters A LOT!!!!! Yes, we can eat 500 calories of healthy protein, fat, complex carbs or 500 calories of sweets & cakes and cookies but it is still 500 calories.

Some would say that calories in, calories out so it should not matter the types of food. I disagree! I have seen first hand how much better my body looks eating the healthier versions of protein, fat & complex carbs. And the added bonus is my body works better with good food, fiber, good fats in it. I am not saying that I eat healthy all the time but I try to at good at least 80% of the time. From my own experiences & personal opinion, 500 calories of good food vs. 500 calories of junk does make a difference in how your body looks.

Decide what your goals are and go from there. I challenge you to change your food choices for at least 30-60 days & see if you are in agreement with me that it does matter. Let me know your results!

I just want to add in this link from I Look Like Fit about fish & types that are better for you. I know many people eat fish for health reasons so check the article out at:

http://ilooklikefit.com/2009/01/somethings_fishy.html

PS: Picture from Diet Blog

No comments:

My Food Diary