Thursday, January 08, 2009

Age & Calories

I have mentioned numerous times about how I have had to change my food & exercise program through the years due to hormones, aging, work schedule etc. Recently I have discussed my "battle" with perimenopause. I think I have been going through that for about 2 years. It has really intensified in the past 6-8 months though. Diet Blog has a good article on how your body needs fewer calories as you age. Before I get there, let me share some of my experiences.

I have talked a lot recently about how I have had to make many food changes recently due to the hormones & perimenopause. For those that don't know, many women go through tremendous changes & a large percentage have issues with weight gain due to the hormone changes & aging. This can start as early as in the 30's but many go through perimenopause in the 40's & menopause in the 50's.

For me, the need to really take a major look at my calories & food program started about 6-8 months ago. I know many of you have heard Oprah talk about this but I took action & knew that changes had to be made to keep my weight where I wanted it to be for my goals. I had to cut out one of my mini meals ( about 150-200 calories). I reduced my after workout toast to 1 piece of toast with peanut butter & a protein bar rather than 2 pieces of toast (which used to be fine!). I changed up my protein/carbohydrate ratio as well. In addition, I liked to eat oatmeal with protein powder & ground flax seeds at dinner time. Just me .. I liked that. I had to limit the days I ate that later in the day & even cut out a couple days of it. Hey, I love that meal so I ate it a lot. I get plenty of fiber elsewhere so I knew I was fine in that regard.

The point is that you have to live with these changes & take the steps to deal with them. Don't expect to do nothing & all will be fine. Keep assessing & reassessing your food & exercise program if things are not working. It took me about a couple months but I established what worked for me. I am sure I will have to change things again with the hormones in constant flux!!!

OK, check out the article here:


Also, check out this other article from Diet Blog on a website that will let you see what you look like after a certain amount of weight loss. Interesting. It may help to motivate many of you!

No comments:

My Food Diary