Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Glutes & Inner/Outer Thighs

I know lots of us want to tighten up those glutes(butt) and the inner & outer thighs. As I age, my legs & hip area have been the hardest to keep "tight". My arms are hanging in there!

Some of my favorite exercises for these 3 areas are ones I have used for more years than I care to comment on & I always feel the burn! I use a cable cuff attached to a low cable machine. I stand on a 10lb. plate to do these. I found some pics on the web that are not the best but at least it gives you an idea of what the exercises look like... play around with your footing & where you stand to get what feels best for you. I do these every week .... I always make sure that I feel it by adjusting my feet!!!!

For the outer thigh, stand with your side to the cable machine & attach the cuff to the ankle furthest away from the machine. Let your leg cross in front of you towards the machine & then kick out in a slow controlled manner & return in the same way keeping tension the whole time. Don't try to go heavy on these.. you may pull your alignment out of whack! You will feel this with lighter weights. See link below:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/HipAbductor/CBHipAbduction.html

For the inner thigh, do the opposite. Attach the cuff to the ankle closest to the machine & move your leg once again in front & across your body with slow & controlled movements keeping the tension for all the repetitions. See link below:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/HipAdductors/CBHipAdduction.html

For the glute(butt), face the machine & kick back in controlled movements per link below:

http://www.shapefit.com/butt-exercises-cable-hip-extensions.html

For each of these, you will most likely have to hold lightly on to the the cable machine for support & obviously switch sides to get bot legs done for all 3 exercises. I like to do the outer, than inner than butt before braking to rest & then doing the other side. I also don't do a set number of reps for each set. I just count away until the burn is too bad, rest & start up again for a preset number of reps I reaching for on that workout. As always, change things up & switch order, weights, reps etc. I always feel the burn on these 3!!!!!!!

No comments:

My Food Diary