Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Scale Busting Tips!

Many of you are struggling to lose weight & others are struggling to get that last 5 pounds off. What can you do to get that scale to budge so that it moves downward rather than standing still.

(1) First, you have to take a hard look at what you are eating & what you are doing that may be a cause for the lack of weight loss. Are you telling yourself that you are eating less but you really don't know that for a fact because you are not even paying attention to what you are eating and have no clue. This is where logging your food or taking cell phone pics of your meals can help you understand what you are eating & where you need to make changes.

(2) Are you chatting away easily as you exercise at the gym? If you can talk with ease while doing cardio, you are not working hard enough unless you are in a recovery period. Are you reading a book or magazine with no sweat marks over the print? I don't get this. I could never read anything during my cardio sessions. The book, magazine or paper would be covered with sweat. Try listening to music. Studies have shown that people exercise harder & longer while listening to your own music that you like. You can get the cheapest iPod shuffle for $50 & probably less if you search online.

(3) Did you just eat a bag of chips & did not even realize it until the bag was empty. You need to eat mindfully & consciously!

I have a couple great articles from my Shape Magazine newsletter that will help you work through ways to budge the scale.

The first, 5 Smart Ways to Lose Weight, is great! YOU HAVE TO READ THIS ALL THE WAY THROUGH! The beginning paragraph states: "It's called "mindful eating." Mindfulness means being fully aware within the present moment. When you practice mindful eating, you pay attention to your body's subtle and natural cues, specifically the ones that say "feed me" and "that's enough." I have posted about this many times. Read the article here: http://www.shape.com/healthy_eating/articles/5_Smarter_Ways_to_Lose_Weight.html?newsletter021009=true

The second article, What to do When the Scale is not Budging, offers up a few ideas to help you move forward with your weight loss goals. Read that here: http://www.shape.com/healthy_eating/articles/21-Day_Makeover_Day_20_When_The_Scale_Isnt_Budging.html?newsletter021009=true

I hope this helps you all to take charge & lose weight. I know it is hard. I have worked hard my whole adult life to keep fit, healthy & keep my weight loss off. Now, going thru "the change", I have had to revamp my food program even though I am working out as hard if not harder than before .... so I do understand!!!!

No comments:

My Food Diary