Friday, February 06, 2009

Blast Fat, Burn More Calories!

I have posted before about the benefits of interval training. Intervals not only burn more fat & calories but the benefits keep working after you finish your workout! I added intervals to my routine in my late 40's and I can say that they work!!!!! My friend, Paula, sent me this article from Yahoo Health. I have not been on that site for a bit so I am glad she forwarded this my way.. thx Paula! This article is all about intervals and says this:

"Women who spent 20 minutes mixing sprints with jogging lost three times the fat off their legs and butt in 15 weeks than those jogging steadily for 40 minutes, a study from the University of New South Wales in Sydney finds. Burn triple the fat in half the time? Bring it on!" Read how to do the interval routine & also click on Self link at the end of the article for some exercises from Jillian of The Biggest Loser.


Intervals are tough stuff so if you are new to exercising, be careful. Work up to it. Don't hurt yourself before you are even a week into your exercise & health program! I will say this and have said it before ..... your body can do more than your mind tells you! I remember telling myself in my late 40's that how could I possibly do intervals or plyometrics but I tried them, I did them & I still do them at 51 years old. We really can do more than we think we can do!!!

Also, I want to share a short article from Care2 on how to incorporate 10 minute workouts into your day. These are very simple things & I am sure you can think of more yourself. In fact, how about when you are driving..... just trying to sit up straighter will work the core, do butt squeezes & pelvic tucks at red lights. Small things add up to big results! Read about the 10 minute workouts here:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a question about doing intervals. I tried to follow a plan very similar to the one in the article on yahoo health but was frustrated. I was using a treadmill and the lag time to change the incline (I also upped the speed but did not want to run fast as it is hard on older knees) is so great that it seems that about 1/2 of the interval time is spent in the changeover.
So should I be starting my "timer" after the treadmill gets up to its new level.
I ended up not feeling very much of a workout so I must have been going at it wrong.
Any suggestions?

My Food Diary